PUBLICATIONS IN PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS AND BOOKS
(*denotes equal authorship)
29. Bullinger, LR, Wang, V, and Feder, K (Forthcoming). Effects of Opioid Treatment Programs on Child Well-Being. The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science
28. *WJ Schneider, Bullinger, LR, and KM Raissian (Forthcoming). How Does the Minimum Wage Affect Child Maltreatment and Parenting Behaviors? An Analysis of the Mechanisms. Review of Economics of the Household
27. *Bullinger, LR, KM Raissian, and WJ Schneider (Forthcoming). The Power of the Future: Intergenerational Income Mobility and Child Maltreatment in the United States. Child Abuse & Neglect
26. Bullinger, LR, J Fleckman, and KT Fong (2021). Proximity to SNAP-Authorized Retailers and Child Maltreatment Reports. Economics & Human Biology 42: 101015.
25. *Bullinger, LR and B Ward (2021). What About the Children? How the Opioid Epidemic is Affecting Child Well-Being. Contemporary Economic Policy 39(4): 737-759.
24. *Bullinger, LR, J Lindo, and J Schaller (2021). Economic Determinants of Child Maltreatment. Encyclopedia of Law and Economics, 2nd Edition. (pre-print here).
23. Bullinger, LR and KT Fong (2021). Evictions and Neighborhood Child Maltreatment Reports. Housing Policy Debate 31 (3-5): 490-515.
22. *Feely, M KM Raissian, WJ Schneider and LR Bullinger (2020). The Social Welfare Policy Landscape and Child Protection Services: Opportunities For and Barriers to Creating Systems Synergy. The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 692 (November): 140-161.
21. *Bullinger, LR, M Feely, KM Raissian, and WJ Schneider (2020). Heed Neglect, Disrupt Child Maltreatment: A Call to Action for Researchers. International Journal on Child Maltreatment: Research, Policy and Practice 3, 93-104.
20. Bullinger, LR and C Wing (2019). How Many Children Live with Adults with Opioid Use Disorder? Children and Youth Services Review, 104: 104381.
19. Bullinger, LR (2017). The Effect of Minimum Wages on Adolescent Fertility: A Nationwide Analysis, American Journal of Public Health, 107(3): 447-452.
Media Coverage: U.S. News and World Report, KJZZ Phoenix, member NPR station, The Public Health Post, The Bloomington Herald-Times, Los Angeles Times, New York Times
18. Raissian, KM and LR Bullinger (2017). Money Matters: Does Increasing the Minimum Wage Reduce Child Maltreatment? Children and Youth Services Review, 72, 60–70.
Media Coverage: Fast Company, MSN, Indiana Public Media, British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) World Service Live, New York Times
17. Bullinger, LR, K Simon & BT Edmonds. (Forthcoming) Coverage Effects of the Affordable Care Act’s Medicaid Expansion on Reproductive-Aged Women, Postpartum Mothers, and Mothers with Older Children. Maternal and Child Health Journal.
16. *Gopalan, M., Lombardi, C & Bullinger, LR (2022). Effects of Parental Public Health Insurance Eligibility on Parent and Child Health Outcomes. Economics & Human Biology 44: 101098.
15. Bullinger, LR & A Meinhofer (2021). The Affordable Care Act Increased Medicaid Coverage Among Former Foster Youth. Health Affairs 40(9): 1430-1439.
14. *Bullinger, LR & S Tello-Trillo (2021). Connecting Medicaid and Child Support: Evidence from the TennCare Disenrollment. Review of Economics of the Household 19: 785-812.
13. Bullinger, LR (2021). Child Support and the Affordable Care Act's Medicaid Expansions. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 40(1):42-77.
12. Bullinger, LR (2019). The Effect of Paid Family Leave on Infant and Parental Health in the United States. Journal of Health Economics 66: 101-116. (pre-print here)
Media Coverage: Futurity, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
11. Bullinger, LR & KI Simon (2019). Prescription Contraceptive Sales Following the Affordable Care Act. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 23(5), 657-666.
10. Kapinos, KA, LR Bullinger and T Gurley-Calvez (2018). The Affordable Care Act, Breastfeeding, and Breast Pump Health Insurance Coverage. JAMA Pediatrics, 172(11): 1002-1004.
9. Gurley-Calvez, T, LR Bullinger, & KA Kapinos (2018). Effect of the Affordable Care Act on Breastfeeding Outcomes. American Journal of Public Health, 108(2): 277-283.
Media Coverage: Indiana Public Media
8. Kapinos, KA, LR Bullinger & T Gurley-Calvez (2017). Lactation Support Services and Breastfeeding Initiation: Evidence from the Affordable Care Act, Health Services Research, 52(6): 2175-2196.
Media Coverage: Slate
7. Bullinger, LR & T Gurley-Calvez (2016). WIC Participation and Maternal Behavior: Breastfeeding and Work Leave. Contemporary Economic Policy, 34(1): 158-172.
6. Bullinger, LR., Marcus, S., Reuben, K., Whitaker, D., & Self-Brown, S.(Forthcoming). Evaluating Child Maltreatment Risk During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Using a Telehealth Home Visiting Programs as a Conduit to Families. Infant Mental Health Journal
5. Bullinger, LR, A Boy, M Feely, S Messner, KM Raissian, WJ Schneider, & S Self-Brown. (Forthcoming) Home, but Left Alone: Time at Home and Child Abuse and Neglect During COVID-19. Journal of Family Issues.
4. Self-Brown, S, Rueben, K, Perry, EW, Bullinger, LR, Osborne, MC, Bielecki, J, & Whitaker, D (Forthcoming). The impact of COVID-19 on the delivery of an evidence-based child maltreatment prevention program: Understanding the perspectives of SafeCare® Providers. Journal of Family Violence
3. Bullinger, LR, KM Raissian, M Feely, & WJ Schneider. (2021). The Neglected Ones: Time at Home During COVID-19 and Child Maltreatment. Children and Youth Services Review 131: 106287.
2. Bullinger, LR, A Boy, S Messner, & S Self-Brown. (2021) Pediatric Emergency Department Visits Due to Child Abuse and Neglect Following COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Declaration in the Southeastern United States. BMC Pediatrics 21:401.
1. *Bullinger, LR, JB Carr & A Packham (2021). COVID-19 and Crime: Effects of Stay-at-Home Orders on Domestic Violence. American Journal of Health Economics 7(3): 249-280.
The Effect of Safe Haven Laws on Child Well-Being, Revisions Requested, Journal of Policy Analysis and Management
*Impacts of Publicly Funded Health Insurance for Adults on Children's Development (with Caitlin Lombardi & Maithreyi Gopalan), Revisions Requested, Southern Economic Journal
The Effect of Paid Family Leave on Child Maltreatment Among Infants (with Kerri Raissian), Revisions Requested
Foundation for Opioid Response Efforts (FORE) (with Angélica Meinhofer), $433,547.
Georgia Tech EVPR Building Teams Grant (with Morvarid Rahmani), $42,069.
Cash Transfer Lab at New York University, $19,405.
Doris Duke Charitable Foundation Research to Action Grant (with Kelley Fong), $79,686
Georgia Tech GVU/IPaT/GTRI Seed Grant Program (with Diyi Yang), $16,312
Georgia Tech EVPR Covid-19 Rapid Response Seed Grant Program, $9,991
Spencer Foundation Small Research Grants Program (with Maithreyi Gopalan and Caitlin Lombardi), $41,650
Ivan Allen College Small Grants for Research, $7,000
EndCAN Disruption Paper Competition Winner, $10,000
Institute for Research on Poverty, Research to Inform Child Support Policies and Programs, $21,814.
Pew Charitable Trusts Financial Security and Mobility Project (with Maureen Pirog and Ed Gerrish), $30,000
Mathematica Policy Research, Summer Fellowship, $10,500
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Health Resources and Services Administration (with Kandice Kapinos and Tami Gurley-Calvez), $99,746
Fragile Families Summer Data Workshop Participant, Columbia University Population Research Center, $600
AcademyHealth Presidential Scholarship for Child Health Policy, $1,300